Author Topic: bmp as thumbnail possible plz?  (Read 4099 times)

Offline *handsome*

• View Profile
bmp as thumbnail possible plz?
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:13:26 AM »
well i am uploading zip files and adding bmp file as thumbnails but its not working let me know how can i make bmp as my thumbnail for zip files?

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: bmp as thumbnail possible plz?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 04:47:41 AM »
Trust me, to convert .bmp into .png is much easier, quicker, better in every imaginable ways then add support for useless .bmp type of images.

Try this experiment: take one .bmp image write down the filesize, then compress it into .zip, write down the filesize of the .zip, then convert that .bmp into .png and compare filesize of .png with filesize of .zip, you'll see that these numbers are very close to each other then to .bmp filesize (depends on image complexity it could be be 2-100 times difference)

The conclusion: be kind to your site's visitors never ever use .bmp images directly on the web pages, it's not only wastes your server's bandwidth but also bandwidth and time of your visitors.

P.S.
You even can convert .bmp into .png or .jpg with MS Paint...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline *handsome*

• View Profile
Re: bmp as thumbnail possible plz?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
Trust me, to convert .bmp into .png is much easier, quicker, better in every imaginable ways then add support for useless .bmp type of images.

Try this experiment: take one .bmp image write down the filesize, then compress it into .zip, write down the filesize of the .zip, then convert that .bmp into .png and compare filesize of .png with filesize of .zip, you'll see that these numbers are very close to each other then to .bmp filesize (depends on image complexity it could be be 2-100 times difference)

The conclusion: be kind to your site's visitors never ever use .bmp images directly on the web pages, it's not only wastes your server's bandwidth but also bandwidth and time of your visitors.

P.S.
You even can convert .bmp into .png or .jpg with MS Paint...

hmmm ok i am going to change 100+ images into gif