Author Topic: Serverload / MySQL / Security in 4images - Review  (Read 17260 times)

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
Serverload / MySQL / Security in 4images - Review
« on: December 30, 2006, 06:20:26 PM »
Hello,

everyone knows me in this forum because of my endless questions in the past. It has been now 2 years since i use 4images.
I can say, that my site is one of the biggest 4images sites i know, (2000-3000 unique users per day / 100.000 hits per day)

I have installed over 60 mods, most of them coded by IcEcReaM (payed mods, only for my site).

Id like to share my experience with 4images, for the new users or undecided ones. If you are planning to make a big site, with much users - don't use it. When i first started to use 4images everything was fine, until i had 20 user simultaneously browsing at mi site. On a dedicated server (Dual P4 3ghz % 1GB Ram) load was around 8-12 / memory around 60-90%. It was because of the way the code is written, to catch all categories on every click. So when you have about 3000 categories your site gets slow.

There were many other things. Why I'am writing this topic? Because i want to warn you. If you plan to go "big", you have to pay big. Using the script for a small community is ok, but don't think 4images can handle 150 simultaneous users and 10.000 categories.

I spend 1900$ for a complete rewrite of 4images in order to solve my problems. It isn't finished yet, but it works. 80% of the code is about to be rewritten, but with only 20-30% untill now i get those results (index.php)

Page generated in 2.584239 seconds with 33 queries, spending 1.147000 seconds doing MySQL queries and 1.437239 doing PHP things. GZIP compression enabled
@ 112 users browsing my site (89 members/23 guests) and 9453 categories

After the rewrite is complete it will be 10-15 times faster.

So folks, if you want to use 4images big, as a community portal, with all the mods and extras you have to rewrite you code - and it has to be done by an expert. 90% of the mods in this forum are written very bad, yes that includes mods from "known people". At least this is the opinion of the expert i hired to rewrite my 4images installation. He also showed me some security issues on a fresh 4images installation with all the bugfixes installed (nicky,v@no - pm me for more information).

Again, this topic is not against 4images. Its about people who consider to have a big site based on 4images.
Everyone feel free to send me a PM if you have the same problems i had or for information about the changes.

Georgi
BULGARIA

edit on 31/01/2007
Well, this is my year graph - no comment ;)
Yes, this is after the changes i was talking about .

(average 2500 unique visits/100.000 hits per day)

On this first image you see a clear difference in the cpu average (green)
for November 2006 (before we make the changes) and January 2007 (after changes were made),
final steps are to get down the serverload (blue line).

(average 2500 unique visits/100.000 hits per day)

Picture above is the graph for January. You can clearly see the reduced cpu load (green),
even the average serverload (blue) is reduced by 20%.

At the end of February i hope we can reduce even this results by 40%, we'll see.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:44:00 AM by trez »

Offline mawenzi

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Serverload / MySQL / Security in 4images - Review
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 09:24:56 PM »
... you describe well known facts ...
... and your professional/commercial portal has nothing more to do with the free 4images download script ...
... and therefore your development costs seem appropriate ...
... and the MODs from this user forum are written only from users for users ...
... and most of the MODs are not developments of professionals ...
... and nobody examined so far the compatibility of the MODs and the 4images versions ...

... and that's why you are right, 4images is a gallery script for a small community ...
... and if you want more, you can't use a Freeware Script ... that should be clear ...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! ( © by V@no )
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

You are on search for top 4images MOD's ?
- then please search here ... Mawenzi's Top 100+ MOD List (unsorted sorted) ...

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 12:51:04 PM »
Thank you, i didn't expect such a nice reaction :)

Offline mantra

• View Profile
    • DREAM WITH MANTRA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:15:03 PM »
with all the mods and extras you have to rewrite you code - and it has to be done by an expert. 90% of the mods in this forum are written very bad, yes that includes mods from "known people". At least this is the opinion of the expert i hired to rewrite my 4images installation. He also showed me some security issues on a fresh 4images installation with all the bugfixes installed (nicky,v@no - pm me for more information).

yes you use my board [ DREAMBOARD ] without put my link back to my site....hm at least credit to my site...THANK YOU MY FRIEND :twisted:

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 04:19:56 PM »
yes you use my board [ DREAMBOARD ] without put my link back to my site....hm at least credit to my site...THANK YOU MY FRIEND :twisted:

You expect credits for what? You didn't answer in your thread, didn't answer in YOUR forum, and you version of Mantraboard had so many bugs - what do you expect? Even the link for your logo was broken! When you do something do it right or simply don't do it. I'am currently integrating SMF Board into my site, so don't worry ....

Offline mantra

• View Profile
    • DREAM WITH MANTRA
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:57:29 AM »
hmm.......thank you again

manurom

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 11:30:24 AM »
When you do something do it right or simply don't do it.
That can apply also to you, trez.
Whatever you think about a developper's job, if you use it, it would be natural to give merit and copyright to him.
Or else, DO NOT USE IT.
Mantra's work is really appreciated since the beginning, and he has been so kind to share it with us. Everytime I need his sources, having problems or not, I make a copyright and a link to his site. I would like here to thank him.

About "bugs", my teacher used to say that 95% of them are located between the keyboard and the armchair :wink:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:52:19 PM by manurom »

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 09:36:24 PM »
I know i can't fight that battle in this forum - you both are right, removing the copyright isn't nice, even if the code is buggy.
But it's done. It happens. It's my understanding. Let's not talk offtopic, if anyone has something to say write me a PM, if it's not related to the topic.

manurom: I'am a developer myself, and i have released some MODs for 4images. Even if they are small compared to a forum - they work. And i check my mod threads every day and try to help
the users if they have any problems. Look at the dreamboard thread. 22 pages with one or two posts from "mantra". Angry to get no support (exept from V@no and TheOracle), i had to pay a coder (IcEcReaM) to solve the bugs. Maybe now you understand why i removed the copyright.

manurom

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 02:25:28 AM »
Maybe now you understand why i removed the copyright.
Never will I. There is no real justification to remove the copyright. Who do you think you are?
The better way would be to stop using Mantra's sources as soon as possible and stop agressing him.

Offline gustav

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 08:23:28 AM »
Well, even though it is really offtopic.... Mantra should maybe worry a bit less about his copyright notice... If his forum got 90%rewritten, it is not really his forum anymore.... I'm sure he also used some routines that someone had used before.. and he didn't put up a copyright notice for these people either (I hope you get what I mean!?)
That's the way it goes on the net.... if you can't handle copyright violations, you should not release it on the net....
He should rather concentrate on his great art and how to target the right people with advertisement.... and a copyright notice in a buggy forum for sure does not target the right community...

Besides that.... trying to copyright code is like a copyright on text..... the copyright only is valid if the text stays unchanged.... as soon as some stuff got altered, the copyright is gone or at least so hard to prove, that no lawyer would take the risk.... so it is all crap.

But still.... I understand Mantra.... it sux when people use (parts of) your work whithout giving any credit.....

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »
Besides that.... trying to copyright code is like a copyright on text..... the copyright only is valid if the text stays unchanged.... as soon as some stuff got altered, the copyright is gone or at least so hard to prove, that no lawyer would take the risk....
Very true.

All I have to say is you are all correct in some sense, but let the issue drop since since it is pointless to continue.  :wink:

Offline party99

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 10:04:28 PM »
clear
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:20:56 PM by party99 »

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »
@trez: Is there something easy what i can change in the code to save some memory?
Plz check my thread http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=16344 if you can help me here.
Thank you very much

Change your hosting provider.

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 09:44:18 AM »
updated first post