Author Topic: 4images dead?  (Read 12279 times)

Offline usimageguy

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
4images dead?
« on: March 02, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
So is this project dead? The developer has been on vacation almost all the time and there has been no major release in a LONG time.

I had plans to use this script on a few new sites but it seems like the project is dead.

Are there any major releases planed? If not what scripts are as feature rich and easy to use?

Offline Vincent

• 4images Moderator
  • Addicted member
    • View Profile
    • www.foto-kocher.com
Re: 4images dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 10:19:51 AM »
 :?
no not dead!
a acitv community and a realy good basic Code and tousands of MOD! what else do you need?
are you allready using 4homepage?

sincerly
vincent
Beati pauperi spiritus

4images 1.7 // My Installed Mods

Offline usimageguy

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 10:34:08 PM »
:?
no not dead!
a acitv community and a realy good basic Code and tousands of MOD! what else do you need?
are you allready using 4homepage?

sincerly
vincent

Yes I do use it. The code is dirty and mods are to hard to install. This script is a real classic. The code really needs to be brought up to current standards.

The modifications should be able to be installed as modules or something.

I don't know it just seems the activity to the base code is very slim at best.

Offline fitterashes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 08:00:41 PM »
usimageguy your arguments are poor. :? I tried many gallery scripts and 4images is sincerly a great gallery management system - plus easy to modify and maintain. Check hotsripts.com you'll have the choice if you don't like this one.

Whatever, this thread actually makes me wonder what is the future of 4images...

Offline usimageguy

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
usimageguy your arguments are poor. :? I tried many gallery scripts and 4images is sincerly a great gallery management system - plus easy to modify and maintain. Check hotsripts.com you'll have the choice if you don't like this one.

Whatever, this thread actually makes me wonder what is the future of 4images...

No they really aren't poor. The code is very dirty compared to other modern scripts. Also the mods are hard to install, they involve allot of editing of code. Most of the mods should not need all that but be plugged in like a module. If this offends you I am sorry, I am merely stating facts. It is also a fact that updates to the main script have been short in coming the past year or so, with minor updates.

Yes I know I can go to hot scripts or any other scripts site and find other solutions, but that was not the focus of this post.

This is a good script and does its job pretty good. But like all scripts it has its short comings.

The focus of this post though was more on the end of, is there going to be any more major releases or is the project at its height function and release wise?

Offline Vincent

• 4images Moderator
  • Addicted member
    • View Profile
    • www.foto-kocher.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 10:36:21 AM »
@usimageguy
whats you homepage URL?

vincent
Beati pauperi spiritus

4images 1.7 // My Installed Mods

Offline usimageguy

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 12:49:17 AM »
The client I work for has asked me to not disclose that information I am sorry. I also can not share my personal projects as they are set up on an intranet.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 01:02:31 AM »
I almost agree with you, the mods should be easier to install, but perhaps its like that because its only 4images v1.xx...maybe if v2 ever comes out, it will support modules, etc.
As of "dirty" code, I disagree on this one. Maybe you ment that its hard to understand the code because it doesnt have any comments, then the answer is - its not an open source...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline ManfredG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 09:03:15 PM »
As of "dirty" code, I disagree on this one. Maybe you ment that its hard to understand the code because it doesnt have any comments, then the answer is - its not an open source...

Well, actually any software code should have comments....

And yes, I also think the code is somewhat dirty: Things like functions performing very different tasks depending on a parameter are not up to the current standard of software engineering.
I have been modifying and adopting 4images to my needs for more than a year now, so I know many of these things in the code. (And still I am far away from knowing and understanding the whole software.)

But ok, it is as it is. And everyone may feel free to choose another product.