Author Topic: Duplicate Images  (Read 7851 times)

Offline ganeshcp

• View Profile
Duplicate Images
« on: May 12, 2005, 03:43:44 PM »

First of all I'd like to say that 4images is simply amazing.... I was recently testing other scripts coz of my needs...but then found that 4images had all the mods i wanted!!  :roll:

How about a mod or rather plugin to check for duplicate images. I know this is difficult and one reason not to have it is server load...but I thought I'd at least get a few opinions.

I have a large gallery and some times users upload pictures that are already present in the gallery. SO a mod to check for duplicate pics can be great. I'm guessing the size of the image, dimensions & extension can be compared for duplicates.

g

Offline antonio2005

• View Profile
Re: Duplicate Images
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 10:25:41 AM »
Hi there,

Me too. I'm looking for such a mod.
I know that Vano is working in this mod, and i'm sure he will share it as long as it is stable (he is one of the most active members).
Unfortunaly i know nothing about php.
If someone have something, please post it.

Regards,
Antonio

Offline impss

• View Profile
    • Cusstom.net
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 10:12:43 PM »
I think it would be nice, if when a user uploads a image and if the file name matches with another allready uploaded, it shows thumbs of the images and asks if they are the same picture. this may help some of the problems.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 01:42:27 AM »
I think it would be nice, if when a user uploads a image and if the file name matches with another allready uploaded, it shows thumbs of the images and asks if they are the same picture.
Its a good idea too, but, the problem is that 4images by default renames filenames with the same name, so, if previosly two images were uploaded with the same name, one of the images will get renamed, then third image uploaded with the same, and its actualy as the second image, now, with your idea, it will show thumbnail from the first image and ofcourse the uploader will say its different image...
scanning entire folder with simular filenames might bring to timeout or run out of memory issue...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline impss

• View Profile
    • Cusstom.net
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 04:48:58 PM »
Yea, I had thought about the problem with the renaming of images....

Is file size and Height/width  saved in the db ?

maybe it can run a check against those..

just throwing out some ideas

Offline TIMT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 10:08:52 PM »
unfortunately it is not stored in the DB. That's what I'm also neet (however for another purpose).
http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=12592.msg71253#msg71253

Offline WeZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 10:31:30 PM »
Yes, this feature is very sought after...

perhaps when an image is added to the system, it creates a Hash of the file - sorta like a MD5 checksum and stores that textual value in the DB? This value is then whats referenced through SQL whenever an image is added instead of scanning the disks... however it would add an extra sql command in the upload process...

i aint no pro so don't shoot the suggester  :roll:

Hey V@no...

I See you have implemented this Feature on your site from End Feb already... ?

Any chance you gonna share with us or make me have to do it myself like i did with the video thumbnail creator  :lol:
just kidding mate... u know u rock...

P.S. - if you need someone to test your credit system code as well, just shout  :lol: