Author Topic: Thumbnail Image Sort Order  (Read 6624 times)

Offline technobia

• View Profile
Thumbnail Image Sort Order
« on: April 06, 2006, 01:57:27 AM »
Hey all - I am new to 4images and could use a bit of help as follows:

ENVIRONAMENT:
Ver. 1.7.2 is installed. I am only using the thumbnail gallery accessed via the category index page as well as the search feature.  I had another developer set up the site and page templates etc.  All I am doing is adding categories and images.

ISSUE:
I have added a number of images that I would like to display on the thumbnail page in a particular order.  However, no matter what order I add the images, they display in a random order on the page.  I have gone so far as to name the larger image and thumbnail files in a sequential order to no avail. I am not using an auto thumbnail maker, I am uploading them as separate files.

QUESTION:
I really need to control the order in which these thumbnails are displayed.  Is there some way to sort these so they appear in the order I need?

Thanks, Technobia

Offline IcEcReaM

• View Profile
    • My little Testboard
Re: Thumbnail Image Sort Order
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 02:11:03 AM »
wow, i think i never saw a question like this...so detailed...how great would it be, if more users to it like this.

So now the answer.

you can define the sort order in the settings in CP.
there are several options how to sort the images.
e.g.: sort by name, date, downloads...
Coding is a everlasting competition between programmers who tries to write larger, better and idiot-safe programs and the universe producing larger and stupider idiots...
...so far the universe won
bump

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 02:12:43 AM »
by default 4images sorts images by name, but on home page they are sorted by date (newes images first)
As long as you havent changed anything in the code, random order is not possible...

P.S. I'm joining IcEcReaM to amusing mood ;)
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline technobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 02:26:52 AM »
Thanks for your quick replies. 

I tried using downloads and that seems to work.  I assume that means to disaply them in the order I actually UPload the files?

thanks- technobia

Offline IcEcReaM

• View Profile
    • My little Testboard
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 02:35:17 AM »
no, using downloads means, that the images are sorted by how often they have been downloaded.
Coding is a everlasting competition between programmers who tries to write larger, better and idiot-safe programs and the universe producing larger and stupider idiots...
...so far the universe won
bump

Offline technobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 02:42:06 AM »
Hum.. that seems to work. I do not have download option enabled.  Do you suggest then I use Date then?  Is Date the file creation date or the upload date?

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 02:45:49 AM »
the upload date
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline technobia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 02:49:56 AM »
Cool! That works too! Thanks!