Author Topic: Jan, did u use -sample in ImageMagick comand in purpose?  (Read 9939 times)

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Jan, did u use -sample in ImageMagick comand in purpose?
« on: November 29, 2002, 06:57:41 AM »
-sample command create terrible quality pictures. Why u dont use -geometry command? first off all the quality with that command is exelent, and second, file size become smaller.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Rocky

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
To help others understand your post...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 02:23:20 AM »
In "image_utils.php" file, edit the following line

".$quality." -antialias -sample $width"."x"."$height \"$src\"

Change the word '-sample' to '-geometry'

".$quality." -antialias -geometry $width"."x"."$height \"$src\"

You will get brilliant quality.

Sam

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 05:55:18 AM »
yep, thank you.
that what I ment  :D  :wink:

P.S. how did u find this post?!  :o
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Rocky

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 01:46:27 AM »
I was having trouble with image quality, so I searched around for the quality solution and found the answer.  Then I tried to share the answer with others to pass on the help.  Somehow, during the process, I found your posting.

I almost gave up on 4images.  I have been using Gallery 1.33 and it has been great, with only one exception that it does not have an attractive user interface.  I also like that you can click on the set size of the picture and get the original size so that the user can download the best quality picture.  If 4images can do this, it would definitly beat Gallery for my purpose.  So far, I am still using Gallery and watching 4Images.

BTW, another benefit of ImageMagick is the smaller files size, comparing to Netpbm and GD.  Yes, I am also wantering why, they chose '-sample' as the default setting.  That might have driven quite a lot of people from 4Images, like I almost did, because I use ImageMagick.

Sam

Offline SLL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2003, 10:23:49 AM »
very strange... on my system i can see no diffence using -sample or -geometry... all thumbs appears the same quality.

am i blind or what?  :lol:

Offline hk_traveller

• View Profile
    • http://www.tonyleung.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 03:00:31 AM »
Quote from: Rocky
I was having trouble with image quality, so I searched around for the quality solution and found the answer.  Then I tried to share the answer with others to pass on the help.  Somehow, during the process, I found your posting.

I almost gave up on 4images.  I have been using Gallery 1.33 and it has been great, with only one exception that it does not have an attractive user interface.  I also like that you can click on the set size of the picture and get the original size so that the user can download the best quality picture.  If 4images can do this, it would definitly beat Gallery for my purpose.  So far, I am still using Gallery and watching 4Images.

BTW, another benefit of ImageMagick is the smaller files size, comparing to Netpbm and GD.  Yes, I am also wantering why, they chose '-sample' as the default setting.  That might have driven quite a lot of people from 4Images, like I almost did, because I use ImageMagick.

Sam

Hi Rocky,

I also tried Gallery before but later I changed to 4images.  It is because the performance of Gallery becomes very slow when you have lots of photos (I have over 30000).  Do you have the same problems or it is getting resolved?

Thanks!

Offline XNeo

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 08:34:21 PM »
Whee!
The increase in thumbnail-quality is huge!
Big thanx to Rocky :)

@Jan
Vorschlag: Mach' das zum Standard in den zukünftigen Versionen. Sieht einfach so aus, als könnte -sample kein Antialiasing, egal was dabeisteht.

Greetz,

Henning.

PHP - People Hate Perl