Author Topic: 4images is spyware :(  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Alain

• View Profile
4images is spyware :(
« on: June 27, 2002, 01:19:53 PM »
I was surprised to receive a message from Jan to inform me to put back the full copyright notice which I immediately put back once notified.

I didn't really referenced my website on the web and so I was wondering how he did find me.

But this morning I opened my admin panel and saw a little message saying that there is a new version!!!

It is easy to get the HTTP referer which a Javascript/PHP code...

To remove the spy :

admin/index.php

Line 88 to 95

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://www.4homepages.de/version/version.php"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
if ('<?php echo SCRIPT_VERSION; ?>' != latestversion) {
document.write(latestversioninfo);
}
// -->
</script>

:twisted:

Offline wdomi

• View Profile
wo wird denn hier spioniert?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 02:33:48 PM »
Es ist doch wohl legitim, mit adäqaten mitteln die einhaltung des copyrights im web zu kontrollieren!  :roll: auch fotografen können dies mittels digimarc tun, indem ein code mit dem file verwoben wird, der mit einem spider im internet ermittelt werden kann.  8)  bei copyright-geschützten werken, auch in der musik, werden noch viel raffiniertere methoden angewandt, um mißbrauch aufzudecken.
jemand, der bewußt - ich nehme mal an - wie im vorliegenden fall das entfernen eines codes eine manipulation verschleiern will, sollte froh sein,  :evil: wenn ihm bei entdeckung dieses versuchs vom autor "nur ein schuß vor den bug" und verwarnung gegeben wird und er nicht ganz von der weiteren nutzung ausgeschlossen wird oder gar anderer juristische konsequenzen erfährt.  :twisted:
noch ein hinweis: auch bei übertragung einer nutzerlizenz verbleibt meines erachtens ein copyright immer noch beim autor (geistiges eigentum) :wink: .
anders herum betrachtet, brauch man sich bei fortschreitender wilder ungehmter klauerei von software-code und anderern resourcen nicht zu wundern, wenn autoren ihre werke immer weiter "verschließen" (z.B. mit flash) :idea: .

mfg+++
walter

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
4images is _NOT_ SpyWare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 03:54:29 PM »
Alain:

From zdnet.com

Spyware:
Stealth components and background processes that may violate your privacy or expose your computer to attack.

I hardly think 4images falls into this category.  From what I can see, the link back to http://www.4homepages.de/version/version.php serves two purposes.

1.  The 4images administrator can easily see when a new version is available without having to manually check for themselves.  This is a nice convenience feature.
2.  The HTTP referer provides a method by which the 4images author(s) can ensure the users comply with the terms of the license agreement.

Excerpt from the 4images licence agreement:

All copyright notices including the hyperlinks, and headers remain intact and unmodified in the source.
From time to time, Dots United may inspect the adherence of this License Agreement. This will be done without collecting any information whatsoever about yourself, your server or your users. The only information verified will be the adherence of this License Agreement and the domain on which the software is run.
Should we discover discrepancies in the software usage, we are entitled to initiate appropriate steps.

Most software these days comes with some form of protection which is typically copy protection or license protection.  It's a fact of life and it's entirely legal.  One only has to look at Microsoft's software activation technology for an example.  Given that you can use 4images for FREE, what is the harm if the authors know you're using it?  The link isn't providing them information about your web surfing habits, shopping habits or anything about how you're actually using 4images.

How many other software suppliers have you encountered that let you use their software for FREE and provide exceptional and responsive support?  In all fairness to the generosity of the 4images license terms and the continuing hard work of the authors, I hope you'll reconsider your viewpoint on this.

Offline Konqueror

• View Profile
4images is spyware :(
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 05:48:26 PM »
All major PHP/Perl scripts I know of "call home". vBulletin, UBB (not sure about that, but I think so), Miva Merchant etc. This is to make sure that you actually follow the license agreement, which you actually didn't follow...  :roll: This software is free, the least you can do is showing your respect for the author by not removing the copyright notice.  :evil:

Offline f1do

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: 4images is spyware :(
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 05:30:49 PM »
I have a question, when it says
All copyright notices including the hyperlinks, and headers remain intact and unmodified in the source.
, what part of the header has copyright notices?, the java script?

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: 4images is spyware :(
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:21:14 AM »
no, the javascript can be modifyed for your needs, but the copyright note at bottom of each page (footer.html) must stay intact (well, I guess you could modify it colors and such to fit into your layout).
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Nicky

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 4images is NOT spyware :(
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 10:40:24 AM »
@Alain,

i just wondering, why you removed copyright notice.
you want to steal work from others?
or in France you don't have to respect it what you got for FREE?

have phun..
cheers
Nicky
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! (© by V@no)
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

nicky.net 4 4images
Signature stolen from mawenzi