Author Topic: How to modify home page tables  (Read 6999 times)

Offline napday

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
How to modify home page tables
« on: September 20, 2005, 09:41:17 AM »
Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered; however I was unable to find anything in my searches :(

I have installed ok and all is good.

I wanted to modify the default template and have worked out where to modify most settings. But what I can't work out is how to modify the border color of the new images and catagories tables.

The "How is the default "style.css" stylesheet used?" post references the outside border...but I am trying to modify the thin blue lines around the tables on the inside to a new color?

Also if I wanted to remove the thin border of the tables on the inside how would I achieve this.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
napday

TheOracle

Re: How to modify home page tables
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:52:17 PM »

how to modify the border color of the new images and catagories tables.

You will find these readings in your /templates/<your_template>/style.css file.

The "How is the default "style.css" stylesheet used?

It is ... true that no instructions are being posted regarding the utility of CSS files but I'm sure you will find numerous ones on Google. ;)

but I am trying to modify the thin blue lines around the tables on the inside to a new color?

That is still under the CSS file.

Also if I wanted to remove the thin border of the tables on the inside how would I achieve this.

Since the subject is about the home template, there are two ways you could easily do this.

1 - /templates/<your_template>/home.html file.
1 - /templates/<your_template>/style.css file.

Offline napday

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »
TheOracle,

Thankyou for taking the time to respond :)

I have installed the [MOD] Simple News Publishing -  (http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=6824.0) and got this working  fine. Now I have managed to work out in the home.html the parts that need editing as per your comments; but strange I am unable to locate where to edit the borders for the news section. I find the Categories and New Images section ok, and I can edit the header part of the News section but not the border of the body around the News. Does this inherit from another file maybe?

Apologies as I am pretty new to editing all these templates and web sites etc.

Thanks again
napday

TheOracle

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 02:39:18 PM »

Does this inherit from another file maybe?

Correct. The sad bad of that MOD is that some table presentations were built from your news.php file (located on your root path of 4images). Meaning, CSS and border contents are also involved from that end.

Offline napday

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 02:56:17 PM »
mmmmm...

I was also trying to use a different template than the default; then modify those borders! Haven't worked it out either way yet.

Does the original MOD by Fugaziman make it easier to edit?

Its a cool MOD to have, but not being able to easily match it to other templates is a problem.

Cheers,
napday

TheOracle

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 03:09:03 PM »

I was also trying to use a different template than the default; then modify those borders! Haven't worked it out either way yet.

Correct. That won't work either unfortunitely. What you can do, at least - if you do not have any PHP knowledge, is to modify news.html and news_bit.html file for those borders. If it isn't enough, I use the : [MOD] - Another Simple Publishing MOD and I could tell you how to customize these borders from the appropriate topic. ;)

Offline napday

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 03:24:09 PM »
I will have a look at that MOD as well...maybe tomorrow :)

Being new to this I wanted to have a play with as many different MOD's to see what I want to include in my site. It also gives me a chance to learn as much about the product as I can.

Thanks again for your time...I will no doubt have more questions at a later date!!

Cheers,
napday

TheOracle

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 03:27:35 PM »

Being new to this I wanted to have a play with as many different MOD's to see what I want to include in my site. It also gives me a chance to learn as much about the product as I can.

I know the feeling. There are so many choices on that section that you don't even know where to begin.  :mrgreen:

Thanks again for your time...I will no doubt have more questions at a later date!!

No problem - feel free to do so and good luck. ;)