Author Topic: Video Player  (Read 9356 times)

Offline monkey

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Video Player
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:26:20 AM »
How do I get the video player to work on my site?
I uploaded a small avi video and it shows a icon for it in black but will not play anything when i open it.
I am able to download the video to my computer and watch it so I know it uploaded correctly.
Is there some code I need to add to a file to make it work or files I just cant seem to find ANYWHERE on this site.
I searched for about an hour and all I see about video is how to manipulate them not make them work.

Offline thunderstrike

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Video Player
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 04:29:23 AM »
8 steps need when ask question -

- PHP version (ACP - > phpinfo())
- mySQL version (ACP - > phpinfo())
- 4images version
- Post screenshot / URL
- Post code in BB Code (no need full file for code) or post attach file
- It doesn't work. What is say - what is do for no work
- Install MOD ? If so - please say (troubleshooting)
- Read FAQ ? Install Bug fixes ?

Offline monkey

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »
Hi thanks for your response
I installed 4images and I already have those files mentioned.
in my avi.html file it has:
<!-- Template file for AVI Movies -->
<embed src="{media_src}" border="0" width="640" height="480" type="application/x-mplayer2"></embed><br />

I changed it to 640X480 because it was like 240 something, I thought that might have been the problem but it did not work.
 Any other ideas?

FYI:
I do have the most recent version of 4images
I also get no error code when trying to view the file.
MySQL version says its 4.1
Pretty Sure PHP on the account is the most up to date version.
I installed 4images with metropolis via godaddy's website.

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:27:28 PM »
using v1.7.7

encountering the same problem as the original poster: vid uploaded just fine but it won't play.

the video is an .avi file and it is part of the current settings with 1.7.7

here is the code from the avi.html folder (modified for a larger display but that's all):
<embed src="{media_src}" border="0" width="650" height="650" type="application/x-mplayer2"></embed><br />

thunderstrike inferred this could be a VERY slow player download problem ... is that a setting change in php.ini as well?

size of file is 9.7mb

[UPDATE]

Tried accessing the gallery with IE 8 and the video played.  Vids were not playing in Firefox. They won't play in Chrome.

Clearly I either need to adjust each of the media template files by modifying the 'type="application/x-----'> to a all browser friendly media playing setting, or maybe set all the template files to play in one type of device that is the most common. 

Opinions and comments anyone?

Thanks,

Brian
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:14:04 AM by surferboy »

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
Hi -

What's the best video player format? Is it Quicktime? Should I attempt to change code in all the media files, like

<embed src="{media_src}" border="0" width="650" height="650" type="application/x-mplayer2"></embed><br />

away from x-mplayer2 and instead use something that indicates Quicktime?  So that the videos will play in all the browsers?

Thanks,

Brian

Rembrandt

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:26:35 PM »

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:07:06 PM »
Hi Andi,

Thanks for the referral link to the FLV format.  I followed the instructions and will give the system a test but I also had a look at the FAQ for the JW Player and found this:

What content does the JW Player for Flash support?

The JW Player for Flash supports playback of any media content format supported by the Adobe Flash Player. So, that means FLV, H.264/MPEG-4, MP3, AAC, JPG, PNG and GIF files, as well as XML playlists, all work with the JW Player. HTTP and RTMP streaming are supported, too.

So does that mean we should convert our video files to .flv, .mpg4, and encourage our users to upload their videos in those file formats?

Thanks,

Brian

Rembrandt

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
So does that mean we should convert our video files to .flv, .mpg4, and encourage our users to upload their videos in those file formats?
i think yes, there is the best way.

and this is your next mod :) http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=25487.msg139643#msg139643

mfg Andi

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:40:55 AM »
.avi videos are not suitable for online playing.
The .avi structure requires the file to be fully downloaded before player can play it (or some "smart" players can download beginning and end of the file, but good luck find one ;))

Also, keep in mind, windows media player does not honor browsers cookies, sessions and even referrer, therefore if video not available for guests or you are using some kind of antileech code you might not be able play it via embedded media player.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)