Author Topic: more than one thumbnail per image  (Read 4867 times)

Offline J.Lond

• View Profile
more than one thumbnail per image
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:03:20 AM »
I have searched through the forum and I have not been able to find a solution for my request. I would like to be able to associate more than one thumbnail per image.  So in effect I can either place the standard thumbnail tag {thumbnail} or the new one {thumbnail_2} based on what template I am using in either the home, category, or details page. I am using version 1.7.6.  Any help will be appreciated.

Offline mawenzi

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: more than one thumbnail per image
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:00:44 AM »
... you mean more than one thumbnail ... or more than one tumbnail_bit.html ... ?
... more thumbnails of one image ... I think, it make not sense ...
... more than one tumbnail_bit.html for different pages ... this is possible ...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! ( © by V@no )
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

You are on search for top 4images MOD's ?
- then please search here ... Mawenzi's Top 100+ MOD List (unsorted sorted) ...

Offline J.Lond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:18:28 AM »
... you mean more than one thumbnail ... or more than one tumbnail_bit.html ... ?
... more thumbnails of one image ... I think, it make not sense ...
... more than one tumbnail_bit.html for different pages ... this is possible ...

My original post was accurate, more than one thumbnail per image.  Let me give you some examples for possible uses.

1)  For video files instead of burning up huge amounts of bandwidth you can have two thumbnails.  One smaller preview pic {thumbnail} that you can use in home and category templates.  A larger thumbnail {thumbnail_2} with multiple screens (ie image grabber) in the details template.  So if you want to just offer a download option, instead of streaming, visitors will know whether they have seen the video before or not by giving them more than one screen cap to decide.

2) If you want visitors to chose different templates you have a greater degree of customization.  One template can have thumbnails with one size {thumbnail} and using a different template a larger size {thumbnail_2}.

I can think of a couple more scenarios but I hope you get the idea.

Offline mawenzi

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:11:25 AM »
... and from where you get the thumbnails for your videos ... ?
... will you upload all the thumbnails in different sizes for your videos ... ?
... or will you upload one image from where you get all you needed thumbnails ... ?
... and then you will also upload your video in the same step ... ?
... for "One Image - Three Sizes" we have a tutorial ...
... and I think for "Thumbnails From Video Via Upload" there is also a tutorial or mod ...
... but I think, at time the informations are not sufficient for a concrete help ...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! ( © by V@no )
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

You are on search for top 4images MOD's ?
- then please search here ... Mawenzi's Top 100+ MOD List (unsorted sorted) ...

Offline J.Lond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
... but I think, at time the informations are not sufficient for a concrete help ...

I will create the thumbnails off server so I will not need the script to create thumbnails for the video files.  Videos and their associated thumbnails will be uploaded through FTP to the corresponding directories.    At the basic level, we will have in the data directory 1 media directory and 2 thumbnail directories (for the appropriate sizes).  The new mod will see if their is a second larger thumbnail {thumbnail_2} tag in the templates and pull the thumbnail image from the appropriate thumb directory.  If there is no second thumb the script will display a place holder image.  Optimal modification wise if this can also be done in the ACP, to add and change thumbnails, it would be great but since I will be doing my uploads through FTP anyway to simplify things it's not necessary.  Mawenzi I hope this helps and thank you for your prompt replies.