Author Topic: Solving hotlink protection on video files  (Read 4257 times)

Offline mark1491

• View Profile
Solving hotlink protection on video files
« on: August 08, 2006, 10:01:09 PM »
I know that 4images is mainly for images, but there are a few people out there like me, who need to use it for videos.
I have a site which gets about 80gb/bandwidth per day and need a solution for other sites stealing my bandwidth by embedding them onto their site.

I understand that most of you might think that doing a mod rewrite with .htaccess is the way to go, but there is NO WAY to stop this with an embedded video file, TRUST ME I have looked over about 100 different ways of doing the .htaccess and none of them work, bc windows media players gets around it since we are using the embedded tag in the templates for videos.

I have 2 categories:
Free Videos
VIP Videos

The only way I thought of preventing this is to create a cronjob which:

1. Rewrites the "cat_id" in the mysql table "categories" as well as the "images" table to a random number "example: lets say rename cat_id 332 to 837"

2.  It would also change the categories name in /data/media/xxx to the random number from above automatically.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me come up with a cronjob for this, which would run every 4 hours.  I do not have enough coding experience to know where to being. This would totally eliminate people stealing the videos, since the directory name would change every few hours.  It would also do the same for images if you don't want to do an .htaccess!

Thanks in advance for the help!
Mark

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: Solving hotlink protection on video files
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 12:49:29 AM »
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline mark1491

• View Profile
Re: Solving hotlink protection on video files
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:58:41 AM »
thanks V@no, this bulletin board wouldn't be the same without you here to help everyone!