Author Topic: MariaDB  (Read 2913 times)

Offline khansahib

• View Profile
MariaDB
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »
Hello,

I am having server with WiredTree from quite some time, I usually open a ticket to check the server performance and do all required optimization, tweaking etc. Today they suggested me to move from MySQL to MariaDB as they have given way too much of justifications.

The main issue currently I am having is if I move from MySQL to MariaDB will 4images work the same?

Below please find copy of ticket conversation with Wiredtree support technician.

We would be happy to install MariaDB as a replacement for MySQL on your server. Before we do so, there are a few concerns we need to make you aware of.

MariaDB replaces both the MyISAM and INNODB engine with a binary compatible engine based on MySQL. The MyISAM engine replacement is completely compatible while the INNODB replacement (XtraDB) is nearly 100% compatible.
If you are looking to resolve errors with your MySQL databases, this upgrade is not for you. However, if you are looking to attain more database speed and less disk I/O, this upgrade IS for you.
For further compatibility reading, I would suggest: http://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-versus-mysql/

We cannot guarantee the speed increase as there are a number of factors that contribute to the speed of any database structure.
However, we are so convinced of MariaDB's abilities, we are willing to use it personally and fully support it. Our tests on VPS/Hybrid and dedicated servers have consistently shown improved results.
I would highly recommend submitting a Support ticket requesting configuration optimization approximately 24 hours after installation.
Optimization will help you get the most out of your new setup.

When MariaDB is installed, cPanel's MySQL updates are disabled. If you would like to have MariaDB updated in the future, you would simply need to open a ticket requesting the upgrade.

Per internal policy, the MariaDB process will include a local backup of your current MySQL flat files as a pre-caution. We cannot guarantee the integrity of these files but we will have them in place as a precaution.
Storing these backups will require that we temporarily stop MySQL and store a backup within /var/lib/mysql.backup.
These backups are especially important if you are moving from MySQL 5.0 to 5.1 or 5.1 to 5.5 as a number of changes are made to the schema.

When moving from one version to another such as 5.0 to 5.1 or 5.5, it will be necessary to recompile Apache/PHP under cPanel's EasyApache.
This normally takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour and results in a proper PHP MySQL extension.
This would be the same process for a normal MySQL upgrade.

After the process is complete and you have settled in with MariaDB, we would love for you to update your ticket and let us know any comments you have about the upgrade experience and the performance.

If you are ok with everything above and you are ready to have MariaDB installed, just let us know and we will get started!

Thanks!
Dave

--
Dave Koppel
www.wiredtree.com

Please suggest what to do.