Author Topic: Changing the Template  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Dseverin

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Changing the Template
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
Hi I recently purchased 4images 1.76 and I would like to change the template. Specifically not just the colors but the entire layout. I don't want the categories list to appear on the right but I want to move them to the left as well as have the subcategories appear as unordered list instead of separated by commas. The current layout is not compatible at all with the template I'm developing for my site.

I've been trying to work with this software for ages and it's been quite frustrating. It's really counter-intuitive and the default template seems next to impossible to override. (Yes, I have attempted to change it through the Settings area of the ACP).

To edit the template should I be editing the "categories" file in the default template in addition to the CSS file or is it just the home file?

I have read the FAQs but have found them no clearer in directing users to the relevant files needed to completely change the template and not just slightly modify it. I'm confused about who is the target audience for this software because it is definitely not friendly to non PHP experts. Does 4images offer refunds? I don't think the price I paid for this software is worth the lack of documentation/user guide.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:35:24 PM by Dseverin »

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: Changing the Template
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »
Hello and welcome to 4images forum.

Unfortunately not everything can be done by changing the templates. There are some parts of HTML code generated in the 4images core. The subcategories display is one of them.
This topic is probably what you were looking for.

As of template itself. We already have a lot of free different templates.
The templates are .html files with basic HTML code. The only things that might be confusing at first are {..} tags that will be replaced with appropriate code. Because each tag has it's own content in each template, there would be a huge undertake to create a list of each and every tag and what it represent after the template was parsed.
Yes, I agree, lack of template documentation makes it difficult for the beginners, but 4images uses such basic template engine that is easy to learn.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline KurtW

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • Malediven-Bilder ~~Dreams~~
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 07:04:49 PM »
Hi,

Does 4images offer refunds? I don't think the price I paid for this software is worth the lack of documentation/user guide.
...and the free script has no time limitation for testing, or anything else,
before a user like to buy the "4images Copyright-Removal-Licence"

=> so i don't understand your posting  :roll:

Kurt

Offline Dseverin

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 01:03:38 AM »
You're right. I was not the one who chose this software. I am only helping a friend customize a template, it was recommended to him and he is the one who purchased it. So I did not have extensive time to play around with the free version. The reason I asked about the refund is because he bought this software for me to use but as indicated I've had a lot of difficulty using it. I was going to tell him I wanted to use something else but I figured inevitably he would wonder why he purchased 4images.

Hi,

Does 4images offer refunds? I don't think the price I paid for this software is worth the lack of documentation/user guide.
...and the free script has no time limitation for testing, or anything else,
before a user like to buy the "4images Copyright-Removal-Licence"

=> so i don't understand your posting  :roll:

Kurt

Offline Dseverin

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 01:19:44 AM »
Hello and welcome to 4images forum.

Unfortunately not everything can be done by changing the templates. There are some parts of HTML code generated in the 4images core. The subcategories display is one of them.
This topic is probably what you were looking for.

Thanks. I will try that to see if it works.