Author Topic: Compliments: V@no, TheOracle, and the rest of the 4images community.  (Read 3575 times)

Offline cookie

• View Profile
Hello,

I've been running a personal 4images site for about 3 years now.  It''s worked great and I haven't had any problems.

I've just recently embarked on a project to do a commercial gallery site, and chose 4images based on the features.

I have been doing lots of web development with open source software for the last couple of years.  I've utilized moveable type, Xoops, PhpBB, and OsCommerce.

I would like to say that judging by the helpfulness in the discussion forums, the module installation instructions, and the level of expertise expressed by V@no, TheOracle, and a few others has been impressive.

4images definitely stand out in comparison to the other open source communities that I'm involved in.  Not to discredit or disrespect them.

Here are some points of feedback that I would like to provide.

1. The MOD are slightly difficult to find because you have to search for them in the discussion forum versus there being a categorized list of them.  It would be nice if there were a categorized list which link to the discussion forum topic for each MOD.

2. The MOD instructions are very very good because no matter how long the threads in the discussion forum are, the authors generally update the original post.  This is crucial in providing on-going support and general growth of the product.

3. The MOD authors generally provide a demo link.  Another crucial point in spreading the usage of the MODs themselves.  The more MODs that provide wider usefullness, the more the product is going to be used in general.

4. The way that the installation instructions provide a detailed step by step methodology with lists of code to find, then the code to replace, or add before, or add after works really well.  This makes it easier to understand and simplifies the process when you are installing multiple mods.

What makes this effective is that all MOD authors that I have seen have posted their installation instructions in this way.  It has become a standard for MOD installations.

On other open source tools (which I won't name) the modifications are a mish mash of jumbled up code and instructions...and it makes it difficult to get anything installed because you have to install the original mod, then float through the discussions, and additions, and new revisions, and sometimes, the only files or details are the newer changes....NOT THE ENTIRE MOD.

Anyways, Good work and I really enjoyed and appreciated working with 4images.

Kind Regards.